Sunday, August 19, 2007

To surrender means to offer him my free will, my reason, my own life in pure faith.

tip to Doctors of the Catholic Church and Magnificat


I want you all to fill your hearts with great love. Don’t imagine that love, to be true and burning , must be extraordinary. No; what we need in our love is the continuous desire to love the One we love. To possess God we must allow him to possess our souls. How poor we would be if God had not given us the power of giving ourselves to him; how rich we are now!

How easy it is to conquer God! If we give ourselves to him, then God is ours, and there can be nothing more ours than God. The money with which God repays our surrender is himself. We become worthy of possessing him when we abandon ourselves completely to him.

Total surrender consists in giving ourselves completely to God. We must give ourselves fully to God because God has given himself to us. If God owes nothing to us and is ready to impart to us no less than himself, shall we answer with just a fraction of ourselves? Should we not rather give ourselves fully to God as a means of receiving: God himself? I for God and God for me. I live for God and give up my own self, and in this way God lives for me.

To surrender means to offer him my free will, my reason, my own life in pure faith. My soul may be in darkness. Trial and suffering are the surest test of my blind surrender. Surrender is also true love. The more we surrender, the more we love God and souls. If we really love souls, we must be ready to take their place, to take their sins upon us and expiate them in us by penance and continual mortification. We must be living holocausts, for the souls need us as such.

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (+ 1997 ) won the Nobel Peace Prize and founded the Missionaries of Charity.

No comments: