Monday, June 11, 2012

Our mimetic nature can be most fickle at times...

This poem reminds me of how easy it is to get caught up in a desire to acquire the being of an other - to be who we are not - the mimetic entanglement par excellence. Instead of wishing for what an other has we have the blessing to be thankful for what we have been given and who we are in God's sight.

THE WORLD IS MINE
               
Today, upon a bus, I saw a very beautiful woman
And wished I were as beautiful.
When suddenly she rose to leave,
I saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch.
But as she passed, she gave a smile.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two legs; the world is mine
                
I stopped to buy some candy.
The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with him, he seemed so glad.
If I were late, it’d do no harm.
And as I left, he said to me,
“I thank you, you’ve been so kind.
It’s nice to talk with folks like you.
You see,” he said, “I’m blind.”
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two eyes; the world is mine.
                 
Later while walking down the street,
I saw a child I knew.
He stood and watched the others play,
but he did not know what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said,
“Why don’t you join them dear?”
He looked ahead without a word.
I forgot, he couldn’t hear.
                 
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two ears; the world is mine.
With feet to take me where I’d go..
With eyes to see the sunset’s glow.
With ears to hear what I’d know.

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I’ve been blessed indeed, the world is mine.


DEAR LORD, teach us to be thankful for all that you have given us. Help us to be content with what comes from You, remembering that what You choose is better than what we choose.
You are the Potter and we are the clay. Turn our
lives and do what in Your divine knowledge is best for us.

No comments: