Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Simon & Garfunkel - Mining for Old Friends

from a Dangerous Mind post: OLD FRIENDS: SIMON & GARFUNKEL, ‘LIVE AT THE KRAFT MUSIC HALL’ 1968

Simon & Garfunkel live on NBC’s The Kraft Music Hall, as originally broadcast on January 3, 1968.
They perform “A Poem On The Underground Wall,” “For Emily Whenever I May Find Her,” “Overs,” “Anji,” “Patterns,” “The Sounds Of Silence” and “The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)” joined by Nancy Wilson and Victor Borge, host of The Kraft Music Hall that evening. They’re also joined by Paul Simon’s brother, Ed, on guitar during “Anji.”
This was obviously sourced from a scratchy 16mm kinoscope, but the quality is fine. It’s not like there’s a lot of live Simon & Garfunkel material from the 1960's, so this is a treasure.

What a dream I had
Pressed in organdy
Clothed in crinoline of smoky burgundy
Softer than the rain
I wandered empty streets
Down past the shop displays
I heard cathedral bells
Tripping down the alley ways
As I walked on
And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
Of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand
And when I awoke and felt you warm and near
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears
Oh, I love you, girl
Oh, I love you 
Why don’t we stop fooling ourselves?
The game is over, over, over
No good times, no bad times
There’s no times at all
Just the New York Times
Sitting on the windowsill
Near the flowers

We might as well be apart
It hardly matters
We sleep separately
And drop a smile passing in the hall
But there’s no laughs left
‘Cause we laughed them all
And we laughed them all
In a very short time

Time
Is tapping on my forehead
Hanging from my mirror
Rattling the teacups
And I wonder

How long can I delay?
We’re just a habit
Like saccharin
And I’m habitually feelin’ kinda blue
But each time I try on
The thought of leaving you
I stop…
I stop and think it over



No comments: